Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Rainbow Chan


What inspires you?
I’m inspired by lots of vintage fabrics, it sounds kind of weird but looking at vintage clothes and patterns really makes me think about music in a way. It’s kind of strange – it’s like if I look at, say, that floral top over there (points to the top on the person next to us) and the colours and the pattern it’s arranged, I think about that in musical terms and in terms of textures. So a certain instrument will be representing the flowers and the certain other instrument will be the background. So it’s kind of just layering things upon each other like that.

How did you start music?
I actually sang in a choir as a kid for ages and then also learnt saxophone classically and piano classically. So I’ve always had, like, classical training when I was young and then I just got into more singer-song writing stuff when I was a teenager, like playing guitar and stuff and then slowly all the different kind of skills just merged into each other and I just spent a lot of time experimenting and combining stuff.

If you could give something to everyone in the world, what would it be?
Oh my goodness… delicious food. I’m a lover of food so if everyone eats and just be merry then that’s great.

If you could only eat one food for the rest of your life, what would it be?
Oh man, it’d probably be rice… it’s kind of strange, like, I’m Hong Kong Chinese but I grew up in Australia, so for some reason, like food really connects me to my culture. My parents own a Chinese restaurant so when I eat rice it makes me really … feel my roots, in a way. And it’s just really comforting and reminds me of home.

Where’s your favourite place in the world?
I went to Iceland last year and that was incredible. The nature there is just stunning and so raw, and I saw volcanoes and I went snorkelling in these glacial waters and saw where the tectonic plates came apart and… just craziness but it’s amazing.

As a child I loved… dancing in my room to the top 40 hits and choreographing my own dances in front of a mirror. And then forcing my little sister to dance it with me so we could, like, synchronise moves.

As a child I hated… vegemite. I was convinced I didn’t like vegemite, but then I tried it recently again – it was quite pleasant, I didn’t mind it.

Do you have a favourite musician?
I really love Bjork – she’s my all time favourite – but I listen to a whole bunch of different things as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment