Saturday, February 18, 2012

Waldorf Salad


I just made this salad and it's delicious!

Recipe (edited from taste.com)

Feeds: four

Time: depends on how fast you can chop!

Ingredients
1 lemon 
2 medium red delicious apples
1 pear (I added this)
2 tbsp whole-egg mayonnaise (I substituted this with aioli and would highly recommend it!)
3 celery sticks + leaves
1/2 cup of walnuts
1/4 small red onion, thinly sliced
1 block of haloumi (I added this to the recipe and highly suggest that you do too!)
1 clove of garlic

Method
1. Dice the garlic and add to fry in a pan. Cut the haloumi into thick slices and once the garlic is golden, place the slices in the pan. Cook until both sides are slightly brown and crunchy. Set aside to cool.

2. Place half the lemon juice in a large bowl. Halve and core the apples and pear. Thinly slice. Add apple and pear to lemon juice. Gently toss.

3. Combine mayonnaise and remaining lemon juice in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Thinly slice celery stalks. Chop leaves. Dice the haloumi.

4. Add celery, celery leaves, haloumi, sliced onions and walnuts (I put them in a zip-lock bag and whacked them on a table to make them smaller) into the apple/pear mixture. Gently toss to combine. Serve drizzled with mayonnaise!


Bon Appétit !

1 comment:

  1. OOH Nom Nom!
    I would follow your additions and substitutions, but i would have to leave out the onion, there is just something about onions I find unsettling - weird I know, but we all have our little quirks!
    Gems

    ReplyDelete