Friday, December 2, 2011

Liam

Liam Ambrose's artwork Memory Box (2011) was featured in the COFA Annual exhibition. See the video here

What course are you graduating from? 
I did a Bachelor of Fine Arts and and I'm actually doing painting and drawing - I wanted to try something else.

What's your artwork about?
It's about the layering and filtering of memory over time. As it gets further away from the source of the memory it becomes blurred and distorted.

How did you go about making the film? 
The film is based on still images - photographs which I've taken over roughly the last 10 years. I went through and picked ones that stood out to me and I went back to the place a tried to recreate it as a moving image. It's also about the relationship between still image and moving image.

Where did you have to revisit to make the film? 
Lots of the South Coast - I grew up surfing down there; the Royal National Park; [points to film] that's my parents' house; Robertson.

How did you come up with the idea of using the projector? 
I did a smaller scale thing about 3 years ago - it was a little box with just one silk screen and I had it on a slide projector and I projected just portraits that  I'd shot of my friends into it. Then I put that aside for a few years. It was something that I wanted to come back to and I thought that I should do it, whilst I have so many resources at the university.

What inspires you? 
Experimentation - people just trying something else.

What is next for Liam?
I'm not sure yet. I'm going to do honors... and I'm not sure after that.

No comments:

Post a Comment